Thursday, September 2, 2010

'If heaven ain't like Texas, I'm stayin' at home'



Mid term elections, Blair revelations, and three hurricanes all in a row liven up the world news. We here on the prairie, however, take little stock of such events and are content to lull ourselves into an isolated sense of security while listening to one of country western's latest, 'If heaven ain't like Texas, I'm stay'n home'.

The truth is now being told. Bush and Blair plotted to arrest Brown's rise to power. A rise so fraught with emotion that Teflon Tony was driven to drink. Plus, he is deeply sorry for the Iraq war. All that would drive anyone to a Catholic confession. The more TB says, the deeper into the sierra, hotel, india, tango he sinks. All this by his own admission. And now, he wants to reveal the temptations of public office. He and our increasingly popular Glenn Beck should get together with God for an expurgation of public and private sin.

I believe we are witnessing the rise of a modern day prophet in the form of one Glenn Beck. He quit Catholicism in favor of Mormonism and has unbelievably emerged as the peoples choice. He staged a risky rally on the anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech and drew a crowd of more than three hundred thousand. Traditionally, MLK commemorative events are monopolized by black personalities, one of whom, Rev. Al Sharpton was holding a competing event nearby. The people's vote was for Beck if numbers of attendees is the measure. Glenn was in his full glory and spiced his heartfelt address with lots of prayer and appeals to the Almighty to save us from evil and its many manifestations. You heard it here, Glenn will become a religious icon and in his name miracles will be attributed. Incredible, but true. Glenn is the sort of speaker who comes across as if he is talking to you personally in your very own parlor. He conveys a sense of sincerity that eclipses the hogwash that he is preaching. His pouting and sometimes teary eyed Fox TV presentations capture the imagination of the right, the religious right, and most importantly, the gullible. Mankind is insane, but perhaps this is what it takes to wake people up to the cruel and corrupt ways of our contemporary military, industrial and political complex. We have Tony Blairs all over the bloody place as well as elected politicians who hold institutionalized positions to which they firmly believed they are entitled.

Then there is the cricket scandal precipitated by your blessed Pakistani brothers. I understand why you like them . Actually, there are lots of Pakistanis whom I have met that are really first class blokes, at least they were when I met them. I suspect, in this case, that the scandal goes much deeper than just the Pakistan team and that other players and teams will emerge with a black eye. Also, when sports like cricket go international, they need to understand and accept the baggage that accompanies such moves.

The expose on William Hague was a bit of a shock. I have no problem with gay, but I do wish they would come into the open and thereby get rid of the suspicions. My radar heats up when people heatedly deny accusations and yet there is little alternative if the accusations are not true. I recall the many, many times during my overseas career when I was accused of being CIA. The more I denied it, the firmer my accusers believed themselves to be correct. One particularly embarrassing and nasty episode came while I worked in Zambia and happened to office next to a young Zambian who had been educated somewhere in the Soviet Union. He was adamant about my professional origins and did not hesitate to tell everyone he knew and many who he did not know. Frustrated beyond reason by his continual harangues, I finally asked him if he actually believed that the CIA would pay me lots of money to have him as an office mate. End of conversation on that topic.

No comments: