Saturday, June 18, 2011

Heffer sacked from the DT!


I must be very slow on the up-take. I have only just learnt that the Ginger Whinger, Simon Heffer, has been sacked from the DT – some 5 weeks ago! Wondering why I hadn’t seen him for a while, I found the story on Guido Fawkes blog.

Neither have I seen the other member of the Essex Two, Jeff Randall, for some time.

Heffer is far and away the best polemical journalist in the business, but I guess that it was trebles all round in Downing Street when that news came through. Dave would have been doing handstands.

The DT is hardly worth opening anymore and the print version is appalling – banner headlines like a Red Top, columns of guff on selebs, et al. I gave up buying the hard copy years ago, and I guess many more will now follow. When I last looked, the DT was loosing circulation fast, and it is hardly surprising.

So we are left with Peter Oborne, who is tops about one in every three columns, but otherwise it is the totally unreadable leftie Mary Riddell, who is married to a writer on the Grauniad, I believe, and others of that ilk. I guess that we will now see Heff re-emerge on the Daily Wail or the Express, both of which have larger circulations than the DT.

Private Eye always refers to the Express as the Daily Getsmuchworse.

This accolade must now go to the DT.

No comments: