Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The world's gorn bloody mad.....

My neighbour Ken, an old soldier with a strict routine, used to march into ‘The Compasses’ (Heffer’s favourite pub) at precisely 1230 every day. He would take his pint, sit in the corner, open the Daily Express, skim through it and exclaim ‘The world’s gorn bloody mad!’

How right he was.

At 6 pm I turned to Sky News to see the latest on the travails of the world. And what did I get? The opening statement in the trail of Michael Jackson’s doctor. Instead of taking a few minutes this went on for precisely 43 minutes. We then had 15 seconds on Milliband’s speech to the Labour Party conference, followed by sport and the weather.

Believing in the conspiracy theory of politics, I assumed this was a Murdoch ploy to wipe out Ed.

This should have been followed by an hour  of ‘Jeff Randall Live’, but was it?

Nope!

Another hour of the trial. So I switched to ‘Quest means  Business’ on CCN. And what did I get? More of the same. So I switched to BBC News, and – that’s right – the same.

So I went to Al Jazeera, the best news service by a long chalk, and eventually got real news.

What an insult to the viewing public that we should be treated so contemptuously.

Daft DT headline of the week:

‘Satellite crashes over Canada and the Indian Ocean’. Must have been a bloody big satellite! Perhaps they meant ‘Satellite debris......’

No comments: