Sunday, August 26, 2012

What is courage?

 
I started to watch a TV documentary called ‘Our War’, made on patrol in Helmand  by the soldiers themselves using helmet-mounted cameras. I gave up half-way through because I suddenly realised I had seen the young officer’s photo in the media after he had been killed. Watching with that knowledge would have been gut-wrenching.
 
I began to reflect on the nature of physical courage. What is it that inspires young men and women to constantly expose themselves to often violent death?
 
My old friend Rear-gunner Ron was a tail-end Charlie in Lancasters for 3 years during WW2. His outfit – 33(Rhodesia) Squadron (but with only one Rhodesian left) flew ‘window’ missions, dropping metal strips that messed-up Jerry radar. This was particularly dangerous because they went ahead of the main bombing force (but at least they never killed anybody). A colleague completed nearly 80 sorties in Bomber Command. Another did 2 tours – 60 missions. The life expectancy was 10 missions.
 
How do you cope with putting yourself in harm’s way like this day after day for years?
 
It may be that some people really are fearless. I remember an old test pilot saying that the essential qualification for his job was a complete lack of imagination.
 
In his memoirs a former commander in Afghanistan expresses his admiration for young soldiers going out on patrol and vomiting with fear, but carrying on regardless.
 
I guess that real courage is not being fearless but going on when you are scared to death.

No comments: